Sunday, February 21, 2010

Technical Preparation

I have such appreciation for and am so grateful to: 1, My Supervisor Jan; 2, Tech Supervisors-Tina, Claire, and Kathy; 3, Technicians-Anthony, Amy, and Christy. Thank you for being so willing to assist me in this effort to bring my skills to such a level that I may be of assistance to the Mercy Ships Ophthalmic Crew. Your teaching and patience have already been invaluable, and I look forward to continuing this educational experience with you.

I learned some technical skills 20 years ago, but the facility at which I worked didn't require the level of skill from technicians as that required at my current employer. For instance, retinoscopy was always performed by the M.D. , autorefractors were used in the screening process, only air puff tonometry was performed by the technicians, and few techs had the ability to use the slit lamp.

I am feeling much better about my ability to perform refractions, I have learned some slit lamp skills, and performed a very poor retinoscope evaluation. I am hoping to learn applanation tonometry and Tonopen tonometry this coming week. As I attain these skills, I will then practice, practice, practice.

Anthony recommended a book called The Ophthalmic Assistant. Thank you, Anthony! I study this book every evening, and it helps me to further understand what I covered with the Techs earlier in the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment