Thursday, May 13, 2010

Day 4 Eye Clinic











I'm on lunch break on the ship right now. This morning we saw cataract preops and 1-day postops. This afternoon we'll see 2-week postops. Tomorrow is YAG laser day and Celebration of Sight. I'm not sure what's going to happen at the Celebration of Sight, but it happens outside the clinic under a tent. I'm really looking forward to it. On Monday, we're going to try a schedule adjustment to start seeing the 2-week posts a little earlier.

I feel so small compared to the beautiful African people. They are so uncomplaining and accepting. In some cases, you wonder how they've managed to function at all they are so blind with cataracts. The cataracts we see are very visible to the naked eye. Dr. Glenn performs ECCE rather than phaco, and we really see great results. However, the cataracts are so dense that you can't see the back of the eye preoperatively, so there might be other things going on in the retina that just can't be visualized.

I have offered to begin writing a manual for the eye team. I also hope to work with a knitting/crocheting group at the Hospitality Clinic to teach local women these crafts. I'm hoping to do this 1-2 days a week. I'm here to work, so it'll be nice to have these extra chores to keep me busy.

1 comment:

  1. Phyllis,

    Your husband just left our house and told us that you had arrived safely in Togo. I have read your posts and can't begin to tell you what an inspiration you are - and I know that Jackie is bursting with pride in what you are doing.

    Debbie and I just got back from a week in Hawaii and I am a bit under the weather. But as soon as I get to feeling better I will do my best to keep Jackie occupied so he won't spend your entire time away roaming from room to room pining for his sweetheart.

    All the best,
    Chad (and Debbie)

    ReplyDelete