Saturday, May 15, 2010

YAG day






We start a little earlier on Friday-6:20am. After arriving at the Hospitality Center, the patients are dilated, auto-refracted and given reading glasses, if needed. The goal is to be about 2/3 of the way through the YAG patients (60 out of 90-100) before the surgeons arrive. My job during this was to help keep the patients moving in an almost organized manner. When the surgeons arrive, the YAGs begin! The patients then go to a tent outside of the clinic. After all patients have been given their laser treatment, we join them under the tent and the Celebration of Sight begins!

The Celebration of Sight is truly an uplifting and inspiring event. The patients pray, sing and dance in celebration. Several of our day workers participate or lead the celebration. I am working on my version of the "chicken dance" which I hope to have perfected before I arrive back home.

After lunch, we do a refraction clinic and see one-day postops. I was fortunate enough to be allowed to see the one-day postops which is definitely improving my slit lamp skills.

While I have really enjoying learning new things, for me the contact with the patients is THE most important thing. I love them and they inspire me.
______________________________________________________

After work, we went to the Lome street market which is overwhelming to say the least. The street market is chaotic, noisy, and a little stressful. I believe I was called "Mama" at least a thousand times during the time I was there. I bought a pair of flip-flops, a writing pad, and some fabric. We stopped at the Seamens Club on the way back to the ship. The sandwich was very good, and I had a Coca Cola IN THE BOTTLE. The pom frites were delicious-salty and not too greasy. We were lucky in our timing-When we came out of the club, a Mercy Ships shuttle had just pulled up to drop off crew, so we took the same shuttle back to the ship.

A very good but tiring day.

1 comment:

  1. It sounds amazing - do we get photos soon? Very, very proud of you, Mama! :)

    ReplyDelete