Sunday, May 9, 2010

We're Here


Julia and I made the trip fairly uneventfully, although we had a number of delays along the way. Paris Charles deGaulle is quite an experience. They load you into buses, keep you confined on the bus for 15-20 minutes, drive 50 feet, and let you off. Then, you go to another area to which you have been directed and catch another bus. It was all very interesting and inefficient.

On the plane from Paris to Lome, Julia and I slept most of the time--we were wiped out. Customs in Togo wasn't bad. However, there are a lot of people there willing to help you who apparently don't work there (at the airport). Also, TP is not provided in the WC--you get a small amount and then tip the person. I also had a man going through my purse after it had gone through the scanner. He was VERY interested in my dried fruit, Gardetto's snack mix, and, especially, my gum. I offered him the gum and he took a few pieces. Thinking back on it, I don't really think he worked there.

Driving through Lome to the ship was fascinating. There is quite a nightlife (when it's cooler) with TV's mounted on stands on the sidewalk, street vendors, nightclubs, etc. There are scooters everywhere! I'm not sure what time we got to the ship. We were given some paperwork, some food, and a key to our cabin. I am in a 6-berth cabin, all the way to the back, and on the top bunk. I found my bed made, with a water bottle, coffee cup, cookies, and a welcome message. What a blessing to a weary traveler. All my cabin-mates had gone to Ghana, so I was by myself. I took a quick shower and slept like a baby.

Today, we had a ship tour provided by Amy. I had breakfast with Deniece and Rob, and Deniece was nice enough to let me use her computer to send an e-mail to Jackie. I met the group for the tour. Now, I sort of know where everything is. We have wi-fi, a Starbucks, a snack bar, a store, a bank, a laundry, a library--unfortunately, the pool isn't quite ready. I'm looking forward to tomorrow and orientation. It'll be nice to know exactly what I'll be doing during my time on Africa Mercy.

No comments:

Post a Comment